About Us

A waterfront campus with its own docks, ski hill, golf course, and 5,000+ acres of research and recreation forests. Michigan Tech wouldn't be the same anywhere else on Earth—and we wouldn't have it any other way. Come see for yourself why Huskies call this place home.

Take a virtual tour

Michigan Tech: Beyond the Campus


The Ford Center and Forest

The Ford Center and Forest is located about 40 miles south of Michigan Tech's main campus and 10 miles from the shores of Lake Superior. The Center is an outdoor and environmental education center with full-service conference facilities and lodging in historic Alberta Village, built by Henry Ford and donated to the University in 1954. The core lands of Ford Forest are a 3,700-acre mosaic divided into the Baraga Plains tract and Ford property in and around Alberta Village.

The Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI) is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and is a recognized leader in the research, development, and practical application of sensor and information technology to solve critical problems in national security, protecting and evaluating critical infrastructure, bioinformatics, earth sciences, and environmental processes. MTRI's outreach activities are designed to provide educational programs, technical expertise, tools, data, and information, and make them available to the public and stakeholders to promote awareness and improve environmental management.

The Keweenaw Research Center (KRC) combines science and engineering to develop new technologies and solve real-world problems. KRC provides applied research solutions through Laboratory Based Evaluation, Computer Based Modeling and Analysis, Vehicle Testing and Evaluation, and Snow Research. KRC maintains more than 740 acres of proving grounds, including many miles of prepared test tracks. Ride and handling loops, a circular track, an ice rink, a snow-packed area, and a rugged off-road obstacle course all provide the backdrop for research in vehicle mobility.

Advanced Technology Development Complex

The Advanced Technology Development Complex (ATDC) is a cooperating site of the Michigan Tech Enterprise SmartZone (MTEPS), a partnership between the University and the cities of Houghton and Hancock to support technology transfer and high-tech development in the region. ATDC is a 27,000-square-foot building that houses the Ford Student Design Center, the Keweenaw Research Center's dynamometer, the Office of Innovation and Commercialization, and lease space for business startups. A recently completed facility within ATDC houses Michigan Tech's FEI 200kV Titan Themis Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope (S-TEM), a true atomic resolution instrument that is one of only a handful in the Upper Midwest.

Location

1400 Townsend Dr, Houghton, MI 49931

Carousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel image

Have questions? Email: techscene@mtu.edu or Call: (906)-487-3116